This eggnog has become the Christmas tradition in our family, it takes priority over opening presents and checking Christmas stockings. It comes before that morning coffee. It is our way of waiting and recognizing a special moment, savoring something special.
20 minutes of preparation time, ready in 6 hours
- 5 cups milk
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/2 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon of extract)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 12 eggs
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 ½ cup light rum
- 3 cups cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cut a vanilla bean in half. Slit one half of the bean down the length of the bean with tip of the along one side. Open apart the bean and scrape the seeds, and place the seeds in the 4 cups of milk, add the scraped vanilla pod, cloves and cinnamon in a saucepan and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring the milk mixture to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour the mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat , stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until it just thickens. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, cream, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before so flavor blend. Remove the vanilla bean husk.
* The vanilla bean husk can be rinsed well, then air dried. Place into a small jar of sugar, and store with lid for one month, shaking it every few days: you now have infused sugar!